The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Dubai and Northern Emirates - More Info
The National -- Francis Matthew, the editor-at-large of Gulf News, will go on trial at Dubai Criminal Court on September 27 to face charges that he carried out the premeditated killing of his wife.
The British expat, 60, will stand accused of murdering the 62-year-old with a hammer at their home in Jumeirah on July 3.
Police were called to their home by Matthew on July 4, who reported that she had been assaulted by thieves. Prosecutors later said this was not the case.
In a statement carried by the Dubai Government Media Office at the time, it was claimed that he had admitted the killing due to "marital disagreements”.
Matthew will plea guilty or not guilty, after which a trial will begin.
Abdul Hamid Ahmad, Editor-in-Chief of Gulf News, said in a statement on the newspaper's website at the time: “We are shocked and saddened at this tragedy.
"Francis was editor of the paper from 1995-2005.
"He is a well-respected journalist, known for his keen insight into the Middle East. He was holding the position of Editor at Large at the time of the incident. Both Francis and Jane have played a very active role in the British expatriate community over the past 30 years.”
The couple had been married for more than 32 years.